Recipe by impressivecook2004
A very bad copy of this recipe was given to me by my stepmother. If you enjoy the flavor of caramelized onions, this recipe is for you. The secret is to be sure that you've truly caramelized the onions. Patience is a virtue here.
Top Review by Annika's Granny
Excellent as done - have used light mayo and sour cream still fabulous. Vidallia or OSO sweet onions are the best! thanks for submitting this great recipe - taking with to Super Bowl today!~
- 2 large yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onions in half and slice into 1/8-inch slices.
- You should have 3 cups.
- Mix the onions with the cayenne, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Be sure to mix thoroughly.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan on medium heat.
- Add onion mixture and saute for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 more minutes until the onions are brown and carmelized.
- Allow onion mixture to cool.
- Chop onions.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth.
- Add the onions and mix well.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve at room temperature with crackers, thick potato chips.
- You can try celery or carrots if desired.