Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A very old recipe from my grandmother. I remember helping her make this and savoring every mouthful when we ate it! Its made from pretty basic pantry ingredients.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 eggs, separate yolks from whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pre-cooked pastry shells
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1) In a bowl mix together brown sugar, milk, butter, flour, egg yolks and vanilla. Pour mixture into a saucepan, stir mixture over heat till it boils.
- 2) Pour mixture into pastry shell.
- 3) In a bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- 4) Pile this mix on top of caramel tart. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 min or till meringue is golden brown.