Recipe by auzzi
Sponge kisses are a truly Aust/NZ invention .. these are two "crispy" crusted sponge-cakes, akin to ladyfingers or Savoiardi [which are based on Savoy Biscuit or Pastry], sandwiched together with your favourite icing or frosting..
- 125 g sugar
- 150 ml milk, hot
- 125 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt sugar in a saucepan and heat until it is a light coffee colour; cool a little.
- Add the hot milk and dissolve caramel in it.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add lukewarm caramel and egg yolks.
- Beat until combined.
- Stir in the dry ingredients with a spoon.
- Lastly fold in stiffly-beaten egg whites.
- Either pipe [pastry bag] onto lightly greased baking trays or spoon onto trays using rounded teaspoonsful.
- Bake about 9 - 12 minutes at 190ºC (375ºF).
- When cold sandwich together -- .