Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
My version of a Barefoot Contessa recipe. I think it's a better version; not as sticky.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups pecan halves
- 6 -7 ounces of lindt lindor chocolate truffles, diced
- Place 1/2 cup water and the sugar in a large heavy bottomed pan.
- Cook over low heat, without stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high and boil until the sugar turns a warm mahogany or caramel color about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Do not stir, but swirl the pan occasionally so the caramel cooks evenly.
- Mix the cream and milk.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully pour in the cream.
- This is very hot and will boil up a lot.
- Return the pan to low heat and stir constantly until the carmel dissolves.
- This make take several minutes.
- Stir in the dry milk powder until dissolved.
- Add the vanilla.
- Pour through a fine sieve into a container and chill until very cold.
- Toast the pecans in a 350 degree oven until golden 6 to 10 minutes.
- Cool, chop.
- Mix with the diced chocolate and store in the freezer.
- Freeze the ice cream according to your machine's manufacturer's instructions.