Not exactly caramel, but very similar, and every bit as delicious! These turn out a bit "runny" compared to most candy apples, but are really delicious chopped up and served over toasted nuts or ice cream!
- Pierce apples with popsicle sticks, set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add remaining ingrediants, and gently bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes; Do not uncover to stir!
- Remove from heat. Mixture should be thin, but sticky, and saucepan sides should be steamy.
- Stir well, and allow to thicken slightly before dipping apples.
- Apples may be double dipped if desired.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours until caramel is set.