Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are a nice treat on a cold fall day, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Make and share this Caramel Apple Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped/peeled baking apples (macintosh)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, oats, salt and baking soda; mix well.
- Stir in pecans.
- Set aside 2 cups of mixture.
- Press remaining oat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- For the filling, toss apples with flour; spoon over the crust.
- In a saucepan, melt the caramels and butter over low heat; drizzle over apples.
- Top with the reserved oat mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25- 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool before cutting into bars.
I found it to be dry and not much flavor. It did sure look good! Everything fell apart. Sorry!