Recipe by Amy020
This is from BettyCrocker.com. Warning: you can't eat just one! I'm generally a healthy eater but polished off several of these delicious beauties before they were even cool. YUMMMMMMM!
Top Review by CoffeeQueen1
I've made this twice in the past week, it's delicious! I followed recipe to a "T" except I did add some apple pie spices to spruce it up and I also used caramel ice cream topping for times sake. Its super easy and my entire family loves it! Made it for a party as well and had to hand out recipe a few times. Will definitely be added to our permanent fall baking goodies:) Thanks for posting.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup shortening (I used butter flavor Crisco)
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 cups coarsely chopped peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 14 ounces chewy caramels
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400* F.
- Mix brown sugar, butter and shortening in large bowl.
- Stir in 1 3/4 c flour, the oats, salt and baking soda.
- Reserve 2 c of oat mixture; press remaining mixture in ungreased 13x9x2 inches pan.
- Toss apples and 3 T flour; spread over mixture in pan.
- Heat caramels over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted; pour evenly over apples (don't worry if it's not perfect- caramel will even out during baking).
- Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture; press lightly.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden, apples are tender, and caramel is set.
- Store covered in refrigerator (if they last that long!).