Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
This makes a delicious appetizer, with tomato, olive,and mozzarella. Dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, you're in for a treat!
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes
- 4 1⁄2 ounces mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
- 12 black olives, pitted and sliced
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaf, to garnish
- Using a sharp knife, cut the tomatoes into thin slices.
- Drain the mozzarella, if necessary, and cut into slices.
- Layer the tomatoes, mozzarella, olives, and basil leaves alternately in a stack, finishing with a layer of cheese on top.
- Place each stack under a preheated hot broiler for 2-3 minutes or just long enough to melt the mozzarella.
- Drizzle over the balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and season to taste with a little salt and pepper.
- Transfer to individual serving plates and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Serve immediately.
What a wonderful salad. I make it all the time for my dh but this was the first time my parents tried it. My mom asked that I leave her a copy of the recipe. She can't wait for the summer tomato crops. Thanks for a great recipe.
This is very similar to the Caprese Salad I make in the summer. BUT, the addition of the black olives is a really nice touch! WE loved it. I chose not to melt the cheese also, which was just my personal preference. This is perfect for all the lovely fresh tomatoes and basil at the end of the summer!!
very nice. i used kalamata olives instead, otherwise followed recipe. very good, thanks!!