Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Health magazine. I plan on making this for my dad for his birthday. I have some homemade pesto in the fridge that I might add instead of fresh basil leaves. Either will be delicious. I'm also going to use any kind of bread; batard, baguette, ciabbata. I'll just cut the size and shape accordingly. I'm sure it would also be good with balsamic vinegar drizzled over it as well.
- 4 ounces tomatoes (4 1/2 inch slices)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 slices whole wheat baguette, slices whole wheat, multi grain, etc
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (4 slices)
- 3 -4 large basil leaves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Season the tomato slices with salt and pepper.
- Make a stack alternating toasted baguette slices, mozzarella, tomato, and basil.
- Drizzle with olive oil.