Recipe by Annacia
For this super-easy garnish, press a striped chocolate kiss into each baked cookie while it's still warm. After the chocolate softens, you can swirl it with a knife.
Top Review by Lainey39
These cookies taste really good! They do have a strong coffee taste as you can imagine, but I love coffee so I love these. I did have some trouble with the dough, however. It was awfully crumbly. I did chill it for an hour, but that didn't matter. I think that 2 cups of flour might be enough. Also, the coffee crystals didn't adhere very well when I rolled the cookie into them. That might have had something to do with the dough being too dry. I also wished that I could have found the Hugs, but I had to use the almond ones. I would have swirled the chocolate as I'm sure they would look so pretty that way. The finished product tastes so wonderful. This is a great alternative to the peanut butter blossom cookies for those who love coffee!
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 48 Hershey's Hugs chocolates (milk chocolate kisses with stripes) or 48 chocolate kisses with almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat shortening in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat until mixture is combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg, liqueur, and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in any remaining flour.
- If necessary, cover and chill dough in the refrigerator about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease cookie sheets; set aside.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar and coffee crystals.
- Roll dough balls in sugar mixture.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes or until tops are cracked and sides are set; do not let edges brown.
- Immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie.
- If desired, while chocolate is still warm, swirl it gently using your finger or with a knife.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
- Makes 48 cookies.