Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this delicious recipe in the cookbook New Celtic Cooking by Kathleen Sloan-McIntosh and Ted McIntosh. I haven't tried this yet, but her comments said it is nutty tasting, good with a sharp cheddar cheese or butter and jam or Devonshire cream.
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer (or mix by hand) and cream together well.
- Add the vanilla and blend well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and oats and continue to mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly until soft and relatively smooth.
- Roll out to a 1/4-inch thickness and cut into rounds or squares.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until pale golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before trnsferring to a rack.