Recipe by NoSpringChicken
This delicious way of preparing cantaloupe has been in use in our family for many years. Late summer is cantaloupe time!If you want to tie the spices into a bag of cheesecloth or use a tea ball, then you won't have to strain the liquid!
- 1 medium cantaloupe
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup equivalent in sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- watercress (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and seed cantaloupe.
- Cut into bite size pieces or make melon balls.
- Place in a shallow bowl.
- Combine sugar or sugar substitue, pickling spices, vinegar and water in a small saucepan; heat to boiling, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain over cantaloupe, toss to combine.
- Cover and chill for several hours or overnight to blend flavors.
- Serve on plates with a garnish of little bundles of watercress, if desired.