Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Believe it or not, these smell like doughnuts and taste sweet and cinnamon-y. They taste so good.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low carb Special K cereal or 1 cup other flaked cereal
- 1 cup cantaloupe, pureed
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 small frozen strawberries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soymilk (or more)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray 6 large or 12 small muffin cups with cooking spray, set aside.
- Prepare topping, cut in the margarine into other ingredients in a small bowl to make it crumbly, set aside.
- Combine the cereal with the cantalope puree and applesauce in a large mixing bowl, set aside for 5 minutes until cereal is soft.
- Combine flours, sugar, baking soda and powder, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Mix oil, vanilla and berries into cantalupe mixture.
- Mix in flour mixture, adding soy milk to make the batter not so stiff.
- Divide mixture evenly between muffin cups.
- Sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes covered with a tea towel on a cooling rack.
- Run a butter knife around each muffin and carefully remove.
- Cool completely on cooling rack, place in towel lined tupperware and freeze after 1-2 days wrapped in plastic wrap.
Tasty muffins and good use of cantaloupe that my son wouldn't eat. I hope these will freeze well to pull out for snacks/breakfast, sure they will. They are not very sweet which is nice and they have good texture. Made for Bargain Basement tag game.