Top Review by Montana Heart Song
Wow! This was the recipe for me! I had a pint of sweet vinegar pickled beets and a cup of homemade applesauce to use up. I throw away the stick cinnamon in the jar because the beets were spiced enough, I didn't use the vinegar or the cinnamon.I blended the pint of pickled beets, water and applesauce. This is fantastic!After it sits, it becomes more moist and shiny and dark black but the flavors are fantastic! It reminds me of moist brownie but so much better. I posted a review but apparently didn't go through. I will make this again. Do not skimp on the cocoa, it is the right amount. Great Recipe! Easy to prepare!
- 1 (15 ounce) can beets, drained
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 tablespoons stevia plus or 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Oil or spray your cooking pan(s).
- Puree the beets in a food processor with a bit of water.
- Put the pureed beets into a small bowl. Add apple sauce, 1/4 cup water, vanilla extract, and apple cider to the beets and mix well.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together; then add the beet mixture and stir until well-combined.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes (Depending on the size of pan you use: more for small, deep pans and less for a 9x13 pan. Test by inserting a toothpick into the center; it's done when the toothpick comes out clean.).
- Allow to cool completely before cutting, frosting, and serving.