This came from SusanV Jackson at Fat Free Vegan.com. I used Stevia instead of the sugar. "Frost" with Banana-Peanut Butter Sauce.
- 1 (15 ounce) can beets, drained
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 tablespoons stevia plus or 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Oil or spray your cooking pan(s).
- Puree the beets in a food processor with a bit of water.
- Put the pureed beets into a small bowl. Add apple sauce, 1/4 cup water, vanilla extract, and apple cider to the beets and mix well.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together; then add the beet mixture and stir until well-combined.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes (Depending on the size of pan you use: more for small, deep pans and less for a 9x13 pan. Test by inserting a toothpick into the center; it's done when the toothpick comes out clean.).
- Allow to cool completely before cutting, frosting, and serving.