Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is easy and delicious. You mix by hand so clean up is a snap. I think the key is to cut the shortening in like you cut shortning into a pie crust. I haven't found a better recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt and cocoa in a bowl until they are blended well.
- Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients as you would into a pie crust dough.
- Add the eggs and vanilla (and nuts) and mix until dough is moist. The batter will be stiff.
- Pour into a greased pan and bake at 350° until a toothpick comes out clean.
- I use an 8 x 8 pan because I like thick brownies. I bake them between 25- 30 minutes.
- A 9 x 13 pan would bake between 20- 25 minutes.
I made these brownies today and they turned out great! They were simple to make. I added 1/4 cup of flour (high altitude) and 1/2 cup white chocolate chips. Very yummy!