We eat a lot of bean based soups in this house and I am always looking for another one to try. Cannellini beans are some of my favorites so I had to grab this recipe when I saw it in the Winter 2008 copy of the BBC Easy Cook magazine. The recipe states that it is suitable for freezing.
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 5 ounces bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 47 ounces chicken stock (can use vegetable stock too)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Fry the shallots, garlic, carrot, celery, leeks and bacon in the oil for 7 minutes, until softened but not brown.
- Pour in the stock and add the bay leaves and oregano.
- Season and bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Tip in the beans, re-cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Swirl the chopped parsley into the soup.
- Serve sprinkled with a little extra parsley.