Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a quick canning recipe for a lug of peaches, about 20 to 24. I like to take the juice from the jar after opening and make a gelatin dessert.
- In a large stockpot bring about 6 quarts water to boil, drop in peaches for about 2 minutes, with slotted spoon take out and drop into sink of cold water. Peel the skin from the peach with your hands, cut in half,pit,then quarters.
- In another large stockpot have ice water and lemon juice. Place the prepared peaches in the lemon juice water.
- Wash 12 to 14 pint jars. Place in a pan upside down with hot water in the oven at 200 degrees. Make sure seals are also in hot water.
- Combine orange juice, pineapple juice, sugar and cinnamon sticks.Heat and stir so sugar melts and does not burn.Add Amaretto. Drain peaches and add to hot syrup. Cook about five minutes. Hot pack peaches into jars, put one cinnamon stick in each jar. Use a jar funnel to pour syrup into jar.Make sure you leave 1/2 inch head room in the jar. Wipe the rim of each jar clean with a hot sterile cloth.
- Apply lid seal and screwbands. Place in a hot water bath for 20 minutes or use a pressure cooker canner and follow directions for your specific pressure cooker.Take out and cool on a towel covered counter. Keep out of drafts.Make sure each jar is sealed, seal will be dented in when sealed. If not sealed, reprocess.
- Store on a cool dark shelve or in a canning room.About two hours before serving,.
- open the jar,drain the peaches and chill.
- PEACH JUICE GELATIN DESSERT.
- Reserve the cold juice from the jar to measure at least 3/4 cup add water to make 1 cup place in saucepan, add 7-UP, stir in one packet of unflavored gelatin, stir until dissolved, heat and pour into bowl and chill or pour into parfait glasses and chill.
Desserts made from these peaches are delicous. As for the juice, I made cocktails for the adults and koolaid for the kids. Boiled down the juice makes a wonderful pancake syrup. This is worth buying the jars for.