Prep 0 mins
Cook 8 mins
These are so yummy!! The added flavoring of the almond extract gives it a great touch! Soooo good!
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (You can use mix of mint/peppermint extract; I've used it on occasion and it tastes great!)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- food coloring
- Mix first six ingredients together, beating well.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Divide dough in two portions.
- Add colour to one portion.
- Blend well.
- Take a bit of dough from coloured and from not coloured.
- Squish together so it blends a bit together (think candy cane).
- Roll into snake like shape and either make into wreath or into candy cane.
- Bake in oven- 300 degrees F for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
My mom and I make these every year - they're great and so pretty!
Nice cookie. Easy to make too. We think these look very good as part of a Christmas tray. I really wonder about the 300 degree temperature though. Have E-mailed the chef to confirm.
I used to make these every year with my mom and my little sister but my mom moved after I left home and lost the recipe. I was so upset because they were always my favorites. And this recipe was perfect. 8 minutes was a perfect time. The dough was perfect to work with. The taste . . . to die for! Thanks so much for posting a fantastic recipe! *Note: when you remove these from the baking sheet be careful as they do break easily.