Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this in a mailer. Prep time does not include refrigeration time.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (110 to 115)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) jar cherry jam (or other red jam)
- In small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In mixing bowl, combine butter, sour cream, eggs, sugar, and salt. Add yeast mixture and flour. Beat until smooth (do not knead). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For filling, beat cream cheese in a mixing bowl with sugar, egg yoks, and vanilla until blended.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll out each portion into a 16" by 10" rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spread filling down center of each rectangle.
- On each long side, cut 1-1/2" wide strips about 3" into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Curve one end, forming a candy cane. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Stir jam, then spoon over top of loaves on the diagonal creating candy cane stripes.