Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
I made this for gourmet class in college. The assignment was to make something "stunning but simple". This was so much fun! I used mini candy canes and red sugar sprinkle for the decoration on white frosting. What a beautiful cake it turned out to be! I'm sure if you didn't want to use peppermints, you could use any kind ofhard candy - spearmints, butterscotch, or cinnamon discs. The candy needs to soak overnight, as reflected in the passive time.
- 36 peppermint candies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (I prefer Crisco)
- 4 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the candies in the milk overnight.
- When candies are dissolved, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2-9" cake pans.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry, mixing well, but not overbeating.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert to a wire rack. Cool completely. Frost with vanilla icing and decorate with mini candy canes.