Recipe by Baby Kato
Now for something a little different...I hope you enjoy this lovely recipe as much as we do. You can use any type of apple that you like, but we prefer the tart ones with this dish. Real comfort food for the soul.
Top Review by Annacia
This is a unique and special apple pie. I made it for Christmas dessert and it received rave reviews from everyone at the table. Granny Smith's worked beautifully and I loved the lime in it, the golden raisins didn't go amiss either. Even my super picky DH had kudos for this great dessert. Thanks Kato for a recipe that had everyone smiling and happy.
- 3 cups apples, peeled,thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin, large (optional)
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger, shredded (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 pie crusts, not cooked (your favourite)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Prepare crust for a double crust pie.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients for filling.
- Blend well and pour into pie shell.
- Dot with butter cubes and top with remaining pie crust.
- Cut three of four steam vents on top of pie.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Pie Topping Put butter, brown sugar and cream in small pot and bring to a boil, remove and add pecans.
- Then pour over pie crust and return pie to oven for 5 minutes, until bubbly.
- This pie is wonderful served with sharp cheddar cheese or French vanilla bean ice cream.