Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another of my mother's recipes that I've added upon. These are incredible. Actually better the second day. Once I was out of pumpkin when making muffins and substituted these leftovers all mashed up and my husband and children who insist they don't like yams/sweet potatoes loved them. Choose long, skinny yams.
- 6 yams
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml butter
- 59.14 ml water or 59.14 ml apple juice or 59.14 ml cranberry juice
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.25 ml ground cloves
- 0.25 ml ground nutmeg
- 1-2 large tart apple
- 170.09 g fresh cranberries, washed
- 236.59 ml pecans or 236.59 ml walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scrub the yams with a vegetable brush and boil them in their jackets uncovered for 30 minutes (or fork tender). Drain, peel, and cut in 2" thick rounds.
- In a pot boil sugar, butter, water, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg 5 minutes.
- Arrange yams in a 9x13 pan. Add peeled, cored, sliced apples. Tuck in the nuts and fresh cranberries amongst the yams and apples. Pour syrup over the top. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
I made these last Thanksgiving as one of my dish contributions to the family dinner at my sister-in-laws. It was easy to put together, looked beautiful, and was a big hit with the somewhat picky eaters in our extended family. This will be a regular for us. This year, I was too late shopping to get fresh cranberries so used dried. I prefer the fresh but the recipe was still a big hit.
Wonderful recipe! We made it for thanksgiving and will definitely be making it again. We peeled one apple and not the other just to see the difference and they were both great. The cranberries offset the sweet sauce perfectly. We also topped the dish with diced walnuts, instead of putting them inside, which gave it a really nice finished look. We did follow one reviewer's advice and doubled the sauce, which I'm not sure was necessary, but the tip on soaking the cranberries in the sauce was a great idea! Thanks for posting!
Great recipe! I did not have the apple juce so I used water. Also added 1 tsp of vanilla and used sweetened dried cranberries and raisins. I used granny smith apples and forget to peel the skin but it actually tasted better with it on. This was perfect(not too sweet and the sauce was enough to really soak up the yams and apples). I would recommend to anyone. Thanks for posting!!!