Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This casserole can be made one day ahead and stored in the refrigerator unbaked.
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup irish cream or 1⁄4 cup orange liqueur or 1⁄4 cup praline liqueur or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Bake sweet potatoes in a 350º oven on a foil-lined baking sheet about 1-1/4 hours or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook and stir pecans, granulated sugar, and the 1 tablespoon margarine or butter in a small heavy skillet over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until sugar melts and turns golden brown. (Don't overcook).
- Immediately remove from heat and spread nut mixture on a greased baking sheet or foil; separate into clusters. Cool completely and chop into small pieces with a knife; set aside.
- Scoop pulp from baked sweet potatoes into a mixing bowl, discarding peel. Mash by hand or beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Stir in liqueur or milk, the 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Beat until fluffy.
- Spread mixture in a lightly greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Just before baking, sprinkle with candied pecans.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through.