Recipe by ewells
This is my great grandmother's recipe. If you like fruitcake, you'll love this! Her original recipe card had only the ingredients listed. My mom who (thankfully!) has seen granny make this cake a thousand times, remembered the baking time and how to prepare the pans.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pitted dates
- 1⁄2 lb candied pineapple (yellow)
- 1⁄2 lb candied pineapple (green)
- 1 lb candied cherry (whole)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 lbs pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Grease two loaf pans.
- Line bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- Chop all fruit (except cherries) into small pieces.
- Mix fruit with the rest of the ingredients, including pecan halves and divide evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake in center of oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from pans to cool on rack, and keep in an airtight container.