Recipe by Sage
My son prepared this wonderful dish for us and it was my first time to taste this method of griiling; what flavour! Planked salmon is a method of cooking salmon that has been used for many years. The salmon is slow cooked, which produces a rich, smoky flavor. Use only untreated cedar; look for planks at the fish counter at your supermarket or ask your fishmonger.
Top Review by PaulaG
I love salmon! Used Alaskan Sockeye and Grade B Maple Syrup. In place of the tarragon, I used fresh Italian Oregano. This was served with Recipe #248297. Delicious and healthy. Made for *ZWT 4*
- 2 untreated cedar planks
- 6 (4 ounce) salmon fillets
- 1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Submerge untreated cedar plank in water. Soak approximately 12 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Place prepared plank on the grill, and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Cover grill and heat plank 2 to 3 minutes, until dry. Adjust grill temperature for medium Low heat.
- Rub salmon filets with maple syrup. Arrange on the plank.
- Top salmon with red onion,tarragon and black peppercorns.
- Barbecue with lid closed until a knife tip inserted in centre of fish comes out warm, 20 to 30 minutes depending on thickness of filet.
- Check fish occasionally during cooking.
- If plank ignites, spray with water.
- Remove salmon from plank to dinner plates or a platter.
- For an extra boost to the flavour soak add a bottle of beer to your water the last 2 hours of soaking.