I learnt this one at a Guide training weekend in the New Forest this year. I've given the recipe using handmade sponge cake mix, although we actually made them with a packet mix :o) They can be cooked in the oven at about 160degC or gas 4
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make sure the campfire has died down but the embers are still good and hot.
- 2Whisk the butter and sugar together until white and fluffy then fold in the egg and sugar.
- 3Cut the tops off of the oranges about 1/5 of the way down - KEEP the lids!
- 4Scoop out the insides of the oranges with a spoon and either eat or discard.
- 5fill the oranges with the sponge mixture, leaving a bit of room for the cake to rise.
- 6Put the lid back on the orange and wrap up in a double layer of tinfoil.
- 7Bake in the embers of the fire for about 15-20mins until the cake is cooked.
- 8Eat out of the orange with a spoon - it might be an idea to let them cool a bit - especially if you're giving them to kids!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Campfire Orange Sponge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.8
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 151.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 26.4 g
- Protein 4.3 g