Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
In the sixties I was a Camp Fire Girl and this is a recipe we learned to make and cook over a campfire. We made ours with a pork chop, potatoes, carrots and onion. I've tried to revise it so you can use any of your families favorite vegetables and meat. You could make these before you leave home and put them in a waterproof container in your ice chest. List of meats that work good: chicken tenders, smoked sausage slices, ground beef patties, ground turkey patties, thin boneless pork chops. List of vegetables that work good: carrots, green beans, corn, mixed vegetables, etc. (Vegetables can be fresh, frozen or canned). Be creative!
- Spray 18-inch square of aluminum foil with cooking spray.
- Place 1/4 of the meat in center of foil.
- Place 1/4 of the vegetables on top of meat.
- Season with butter, salt, garlic powder and pepper to taste.
- Fold top and sides of foil several times to seal food.
- THREE WAYS TO COOK: Always place seam side up when cooking. You may want to double wrap if cooking on a campfire or grill.
- •CAMPFIRE: Place on hot coals near the edge of your campfire and allow to cook 25-30 minutes, or until meat is done.
- •GRILL: Place on medium/hot grill for 40 minutes; rotate 1/2 way through cook time.
- •OVEN: Preheat oven to 350°F Place on cookie sheet or cooking stone; bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until meat is done.
- OPEN CAREFULLY!
Hobo dinners are amazing! Instead of using cooking spray, we line the foil with a cabbage leaf to prevent everything from burning. (And we've had our share of burnt ones!) Since we bury ours in the campfire coals, we always joke, "Don't forget the cabbage leaf!"
Now, this was a strange one. First off, I didn't add the carrot as I don't eat carrots, but I did add some herbs. It doesn't look very appealing, as it's quite plain looking, which is deceptive as it is really tasty. We decided we really like it and would certainly love to try it as a campfire meal, as the smokey flavour can only add to it. The garlic makes it a winner. Certainly worth trying again and I recommend it highly! Reviewed for Photo Swap 08