Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Although I did make this "car camping", when my sons were young, it is a quick and easy, at home, top of the stove, one skillet dish. Sometimes, I use bacon, sometimes not. You might want to use less catsup, sugar, and molasses if you want it less sweet.
- If using bacon, cut into 1" strips crosswise and saute over medium heat with onions until translucent, then add beef. Otherwise start with next step.
- Cook beef and onions over medium high heat until onions are done, about 5-10 minutes.
- Drain fat. (I tilt the pan, and use a turkey baster to get rid of the excess fat.).
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, mixing throughly, and turn heat to low.
- Continue cooking until hot and bubbly (15-30 minutes), then serve in bowls.
These were very good and simple baked beans. I made them when we went up to the mountains. I prefer the ones with a bunch of different beans but my husband likes ones like these that just have one kind in.
The kids enjoyed this for lunch toady. I think the mustard cut back the sweetness the brown sugar gave the dish. And the molasses gave it a nice rich dark color. Made for *PAC Fall 2007* game