Recipe by docslats
I have seen many people looking for a similar tasting soup. this is not technically a soup I make but a sauce that tastes very similar and is used for slow cooker pot roasts and on top of meat dishes
Top Review by iswallowedthemoon
Easy and delicious! I needed some Golden Mushroom Soup for a recipe, but couldn't find it at any of the three grocery stores I checked. I followed this recipe instead, using the ingredients I had on-hand. Here are the changes I made: used regular half-salt butter instead of clarified;used 2 cups beef broth (didn't have white wine), omitted tomato paste. To season, i only used pepper since the beef broth was salty enough. It was quick, easy, and yummy! I'll definitely make it again.
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 lb mushroom, I prefer baby portabella. slice thin
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon oil, I use safflower
- take 3 tbsp of clarified butter, reserving the 4th, and heat in sauce pan. add flour and whisk until it has bubbled vigorously for 30-60 seconds. then add boiling beef stock and whisk until smooth. add the tomato paste and whisk until smooth. sauce should be very thick.
- in a very large saute pan add the reserved tbsp of clarified butter and the oil and heat until the pan starts to smoke. add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 3-5 minute add white wine to the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute add the mushroom mixture to the sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- if you want a stronger flavor add a small amount of beef bullion crystals in small amounts until you get the flavor you like. you can now add other spices you like.