Top Review by LAURIE
I made these originally with "Philly steak" type of meat and honestly they were very bland and needed spiced up. I redid it with ribeyes sliced thin for sandwiches from the butcher and added some major garlic. I also slightly carmelized the onions and added some additional spices for a kick. This time they were much much better as the better cut of steak helped tremendously! This is one that you need to adapt to your tastes. The basic recipe is good and the cheese soup makes a nice sauce, but if you are looking for a kick this is one you will have to alter. Thanks RecipeNut!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) packagefrozen beef steaks or 1 (14 ounce) package chicken sandwich steaks, separated into 8 portions
- 1 can Campbell's cheddar cheese soup
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jarsliced mushrooms
- 4 6-inch pitas, cut in half,forming two pockets
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium skillet over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add sandwich steaks and cook 5 minutes or until browned.
- Pour off fat.
- ADD soup and mushrooms.
- Heat to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and and heat through.
- Spoon meat mixture into pita pockets.