Recipe by Lulabelle #2
A tasty little appetizer. I found this recipe in an Oct. 1991 issue of Select Homes and Food (a Canadian magazine). They always seem to go over well.
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar or 4 teaspoons water
- salt and pepper
- 18 mini pita pockets, halved in rounds
- 1⁄2 lb cambozola cheese, crumbled
- 2⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained and slivered
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread onions in shallow baking dish. Dot with butter; sprinkle with brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake, covered, in 300' F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender, stirring once. (Can be prepared ahead, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.).
- Place pita rounds on baking sheets. Top each round with a spoonful of onion mixture, cheese and 2 to 4 slivers sundried tomatoes. Just before serving, bake pizzas in 375' F oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Makes about 36 pizzas.