Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Another canning recipe. These are great over vanilla ice cream, stirred into yogurt, served with meats, used to make a great orange chicken or just eaten plain.
- 4 large oranges
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups honey
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole allspice
- Prepare home canning jars and lids according to manufacture's instructions.
- Slice oranges, discarding end pieces; cut slices in half and place in a saucepan.
- Add just enough water to cover & bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Simmer until peel is tender, about 30 minutes (make sure to test a small bite to make sure it is tooth tender); drain.
- Combine sugar, honey and lemon juice; bring to a boil.
- Add orange slices and spices tied in a cheesecloth bag or a tea ball (I used mulling spices and it worked quite nicely in this recipe); simmer for 40 minutes.
- Pack hot orange slices into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Ladle hot syrup over orange slices, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles with nonmetallic spatula and make sure to wipe jar rim clean.
- Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass.
- Screw band down evenly and firmly, just until a point of resistance is met-fingertip tight.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.