1/2 Photos of California Roll Salad
I love sushi but have not learned how to make it. This salad solves all my cravings for it because it is not as readily available in Greece. This really wonderful recipe is from Epicurious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 7 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (preferably unhulled)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled ginger
- 4 scallions, cut lengthwise into thin 1 inch strips (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 large seedless cucumber, quartered lengthwise, cored, and chopped (about 1 pound)
- 2 sheets nori (paper-thin sheets of dried seaweed)
- 1 avocado (preferably California)
- 1/4 lb surimi, if desired, sliced thin (mock crab legs) (optional)
- 1Into a large saucepan of salted boiling water stir rice and boil 10 minutes.
- 2Drain rice in a colander and rinse.
- 3Set colander over a kettle of boiling water (rice should not touch water) and steam rice, covered with a kitchen towel and lid, until fluffy and dry, 10 to 15 minutes (check water level in kettle occasionally, adding water if necessary).
- 4While rice is steaming, in a small saucepan bring 1/4 cup vinegar to a boil with sugar and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved, and remove from heat.
- 5In a dry small skillet toast sesame seeds over moderate heat, stirring, until golden and fragrant and transfer to a small bowl.
- 6Transfer rice to a large bowl and stir in vinegar mixture.
- 7Cool rice and stir in sesame seeds, remaining 3 tablespoons vinegar, oil, ginger, scallions, carrot, and cucumber.
- 8Salad may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- 9Bring salad to room temperature before proceeding.
- 10Dry-roast nori, 1 sheet at a time, directly above moderate heat (gas or electric burner), holding it at opposite corners and moving it back and forth, until it turns bright green, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- 11With scissors cut nori into thin 2-inch-long strips.
- 12Peel and pit avocado.
- 13Quarter avocado and cut crosswise into thin slices.
- 14Add avocado to salad with surmimi if using and two thirds of nori strips and toss well.
- 15Make dressing: In a small bowl stir wasabi powder into hot water and stir in cold water, soy sauce, and ginger juice.
- 16Serve salad sprinkled with remaining nori strips and drizzled with dressing.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for California Roll Salad
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.1
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1397.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: