Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
The employees at Pizza Kitchens rate this number one! What's not to love with the crunch of the jicama, corn chips, and lettuces; the explosions of different flavors with every bite; and the contrast of the sweet-and-spicy barbecue sauce with the cool ranch dressing...mmmm...mmmm!
FRIED TORTILLA STRIPS
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 12 corn tortillas, cut 1/4-inch strips
GARDEN HERB RANCH DRESSING
- 2.46 ml dry mustard
- 1.23 ml cold water
- 177.44 ml mayonnaise
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 118.32 ml sour cream
- 7.39 ml apple cider vinegar
- 7.39 ml thinly-sliced scallion top, and whites
- 9.85 ml minced garlic
- 9.85 ml minced fresh Italian parsley
- 2.46 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml minced fresh dill
- 1.23 ml minced dried oregano
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml minced fresh basil
GRILLED GARLIC BBQ CHICKEN
- 7.39 ml olive oil
- 7.39 ml minced garlic
- 9.85 ml soy sauce
- 9.85 ml salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 oz ea)
- 59.14 ml good-quality sweet-&-spicy barbecue sauce
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (cored, rinsed and dried and cut into thin 1/8" strips)
- 1 head romaine lettuce leaf (separated, trimmed, rinsed, dried, and cut thin strips)
- 12 large fresh basil leaves, cut 1/8-inch strips
- 453.59 g jicama, cut 1/4-inch by 1/4-inch by 3/4-inch strips
- 473.18 ml shredded monterey jack cheese
- 236.59 ml canned black beans, rinsed drained
- 236.59 ml canned sweet white corn kernels, drained
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 907.18 g fresh ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dices
- 118.29 ml good-quality sweet-&-spicy barbecue sauce
- To Make the Fried Tortilla Strips: In a deep, heavy frying pan, heat several inches of vegetable oil to a temperature of 375 degrees. Working in batches if necessary to prevent overcrowding, carefully add the tortilla strips to the hot oil, submerging them with a metal skimmer or slotted spoon. Fry the tortilla strips until evenly golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully lift them out with the skimmer or slotted spoon and transfer them to paper towels to drain and cool. Set aside, uncovered.
- To Make the Garden Herb Ranch Dressing: In a mixing bowl, use a fork to stir together the mustard and cold water, forming a paste. Set aside for 10 minutes. Add the remaining dressing ingredients to the bowl and, using a handheld electric mixer at low speed or a whisk, blend together just until smooth, taking care not to incorporate too much air into the dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To Make the Grilled Garlic and BBQ Chicken: Preheat a stovetop grill or the broiler. In a mixing bowl, stir together the olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, and salt. Turn the chicken breasts in this marinade and leave to marinate at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Grill or broil the chicken breasts until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator. Cut the chicken breasts into 3/4-inch cubes and, in a bowl, toss with the barbecue sauce to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To Make the Salad: In a large mixing bowl, toss together the lettuces, basil, jicama, Monterey Jack cheese, beans, corn, cilantro, dressing, and half of the Fried Tortilla Strips. Transfer the salads to chilled serving plates. Surround each salad with diced tomatoes and the remaining Fried Tortilla Strips. Top each salad with chunks of Grilled Garlic BBQ Chicken and drizzle the chicken with the barbecue sauce. Garnish with the scallion.
Delish! I made a few changes though: I used less mayo and more buttermilk, I used store bought tortilla strips, and I used fake chicken to make it vegetarian. I like to use Jack Daniels BBQ sauce to pour over the chicken. Also, adding avocado is a MUST! The dressing is even better the next day!
Absolutely, sinfully, delicious. Oh, I didn't mention that caution should be used. It is also addictive. Wonder why California Pizza Kitchen doesn't have a restaurant in Southwest Denver, Southwest Plaza? Bear Valley? Pinehurst area? Please?
This is one of my all time favorites! I crave it sprinkled with lime juice in the summer!