Recipe by Sharon123
Delicious! Bread, dipped in egg, with slices of avocado, made like a grilled cheese sandwich. I got this recipe somewhere on the internet.
Top Review by mersaydees
We loved this sandwich! We used cooked turkey, and omitted the salsa. My DH also brought out the powdered sugar used in the traditional Monte Cristos. Thanks, Sharon123! Made for Aussie/New Zealand Swap #18.
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 8 slices firm white bread (or whole wheat)
- 2 california avocados, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced cooked chicken (optional) or 8 ounces cooked turkey (optional)
- 4 ounces sliced jalapeno jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup fruit salsa
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together eggs, milk, and salt.
- Mix mayonnaise with garlic.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon on one side of each slice of bread.
- Cover 4 slices of bread with avocado slices; top each with 2 slices chicken or turkey (if using) and 1 slice of cheese.
- Cover each with remaining slice of bread, spread side down.
- Diagonally cut each in half; reserve.
- In a large frying pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Meanwhile, dip 4 sandwich halves in egg, coating well.
- Brown in hot butter, about 2 minutes per side.
- Repeat with remaining sandwich halves.
- Serve each sandwich with 1/4 cup salsa.
- Garnish with cilantro sprig.