Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Delicious! Bread, dipped in egg, with slices of avocado, made like a grilled cheese sandwich. I got this recipe somewhere on the internet.
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 8 slices firm white bread (or whole wheat)
- 2 california avocados, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced cooked chicken (optional) or 8 ounces cooked turkey (optional)
- 4 ounces sliced jalapeno jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup fruit salsa
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro (optional)
- Beat together eggs, milk, and salt.
- Mix mayonnaise with garlic.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon on one side of each slice of bread.
- Cover 4 slices of bread with avocado slices; top each with 2 slices chicken or turkey (if using) and 1 slice of cheese.
- Cover each with remaining slice of bread, spread side down.
- Diagonally cut each in half; reserve.
- In a large frying pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Meanwhile, dip 4 sandwich halves in egg, coating well.
- Brown in hot butter, about 2 minutes per side.
- Repeat with remaining sandwich halves.
- Serve each sandwich with 1/4 cup salsa.
- Garnish with cilantro sprig.
We loved this sandwich! We used cooked turkey, and omitted the salsa. My DH also brought out the powdered sugar used in the traditional Monte Cristos. Thanks, Sharon123! Made for Aussie/New Zealand Swap #18.
Loved this, didn't do the fruit thing because I wanted a faster prep. meal. This is just that, and different+tasty besides. Gonna make this again really soon.
I haven't made this yet but my family has, using sliced chicken, They are are avacado growers and say it was a great way to diversify use of their avacados, and always appreciate that! The only change they would make is not to do a standard monte cristo dipped in eggs and would lightly butter outside of each slice of bread and cook like grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm sure they are great both ways!