Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is a Caribbean vegetarian soup recipe that I found on the recipesources.com website. It's quite different than the other recipes with similar titles that are already posted to this site. Calabaza is a tropical squash with a slightly sweet flavor and firm texture, similar to the taste and texture of butternut or acorn squash.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs calabaza squash, peeled & seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 4 scallions, minced
- 6 thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper (to taste)
- Place all ingredients (except salt, pepper, and chili pepper) in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Let simmer for 1 hour. Strain the liquid into a bowl and allow the solids to cool. Puree the cooled solids.
- Return the puree to the soup pot along with the strained liquid. Simmer, uncovered, until the mixture is reduced to a syrup-like consistency.
- Add the seasonings while the soup is simmering, and serve while still hot.