Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Courtesy of Rachael Ray.
Make and share this Calabacitas Casserole With Polenta and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package prepared polenta
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with 1 T olive oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add remaining 2 T olive oil, corn, garlic and jalapenos. Saute 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, yellow squash and onions, season with salt, pepper and chili powder. Cook 7-8 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes and heat through.
- Transfer skillet contents to baking dish.
- Cut tube of polenta in 1/2-inch slices. Top vegetables with polenta and cheese.
- Place in oven to melt cheese and warm polenta, 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish with scallions and cilantro.
- NOTE: Feel free to add a can of drained black beans or shredded chicken for protein.
Yummo! This was fantastic! I left out the oil and just used cooking spray on both pans. I also used 2 serrano peppers, with the seeds, because we don't usually find jalapenos hot enough. As suggested, I added a can of black beans with the tomatoes and that seemed to work properly. I think next time I would use a can of diced tomatoes so that the tomato chunks will be more evenly dispersed throughout the dish. DBF dug in before I could top it with scallions, so those were left out, along with the cilantro, which I despise. All in all, a fabulous vegetarian meal that I will definitely be making again!