Recipe by Marysdottir
Spicy and nicely hot, not sweet. Very peppery. Addictive. From Bon Appetit, November 1987.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I have used lots of different brands, all were good!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄4 cups pecan halves (about a pound)
Directions See How It's Made
- Position oven rack in upper third of oven and pre-heat to 375º F.
- Brush heavy large baking pan with oil.
- Mix all peppers and thyme in small bowl.
- Whisk egg whites in medium bowl until foamy. Whisk in Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and salt.
- Add nuts to egg white mixture and toss to coat.
- Sift pepper mixture over nuts and toss to coat.
- Spread pecans evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 5 minutes.
- Stir nuts to break up any clumps.
- Bake until deep golden brown stirring twice more (about 7 more minutes).
- Watch carefully as they burn quickly.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl and cool completely.
- Store at room temperature in airtight container.