Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this recipe from my South Louisiana friend. We know it is not authentic cajun cuisine but we don't care. It is well-seasoned (and I don't mean hot), hearty, and delicious.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat with onion, green pepper, and garlic.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, process beans with liquid until smooth.
- Drain fat from Dutch oven; add the beans and remaining ingredients.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes.
This worked out great for our boys, they don't enjoy spicy foods like my DH and I do. Enough tongue tingling and just sweet enough. I did add some sausage along with the ground beef and increased the honey by perhaps 1/2 Tbsp. Thank You NurseDi, great recipe as always-