1/3 Photos of Cajun Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
1 hr 30 mins
Some people think that New Orleans cuisine is Cajun cuisine. It isn't. It's Creole cuisine, where most sauces and gravies are prepared with tomato. To delight in true Cajun cuisine, one must travel west of New Orleans into Acadiana, where, in my opinion, the food is much better! Just be sure that you like spicy, because most of it is highly seasoned. My mother taught me how to make Gumbo. I usually make enough to freeze in portions so that I'll always have some on hand. Potato salad is traditionally served as a side dish.....oh, and of course, some good, crusty, garlic french bread to sop up the juice. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 chicken thighs (I much prefer dark meat in a gumbo)
- 1 1/2 lbs richard's smoked sausage, sliced (or your favorite smoked sausage)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and cayenne pepper
- green onion, chopped
- parsley, chopped
- 1Brown chicken thighs and sausage in a cast iron dutch oven. Remove from pot and let cool.
- 2Add oil to the pot. With wire whisk, blend in flour. Continue stirring constantly, until flour is the color of chocolate syrup. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO CONSTANTLY STIR THIS! Once the flour has browned to this point, quickly add onions, bell pepper and celery. Cook until onions are transparent. Add enough water to fill the pot about half way. Simmer.
- 3Meanwhile, debone chicken. Add chicken and sausage. If needed, add more water to cover the chicken.
- 4Add minced garlic, salt, and cayenne.
- 5Let simmer for about an hour.
- 6With a large spoon, skim as much fat as possible from the top.
- 7Serve in a soup plate, over hot cooked rice.
- 8Sprinkle green onions, parsley, and file in the bowls.
- 9MMMMMMMMMM -- good stuff!
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 773.4
- Calories from Fat 593
- Total Fat 65.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 131.0 mg
- Sodium 786.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 28.6 g