Recipe by Miss V
This recipe is from Mr. B's in New Orleans. This recipe used whole shrimp in the shell cooked in a peppery butter sauce. Serve this dish in soup bowls and be sure to stir the sauce well when you ladle it out; the solids that settle to the bottom of the pan should be poured over he shrimp along with the sauce.
- 1 cup butter (salted)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic (finely minced)
- 4 bay leaves (whole, crushed fine)
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary (crushed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper (freshly ground black)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh)
- 2 lbs shrimp (whole fresh in the shell)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a heavy (oven safe) saute pan melt the butter then add the oil and mix well. Add all the other ingredients except the shrimp and cook over med medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce begins to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently, then remove the pan from the heat and let it stand, uncovered, at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the sauce , mix thoroughly, and put he pan back on the burner.
- Cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or just until the shrimp turn pink, then put the an in a preheated 450 degree oven and bake for 10 minutes. Serve equal portions of shrimp with about 1/2 c . of sauce , ladled over each one.