Chef #928625's Note:
This is creamy, rich and delicious.The goat milk is really good with the cajeta ,but you can use cow's milk if you'd like.If you buy cajeta from the grocery store the average jar is 10 ounces.The original recipe also suggest substituting pecans,dark chocolate pieces,or 1 cup of crushed galletas marias cookies for the hazelnuts.From My Sweet Mexico by Fany Gerson.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Separate eggs carefully,reserving the whites for another use.Make sure to put the yolks in a heatproof bowl,within easy reach of the stove.
- 2Mix milk,sugar, 1/2 cup of the cream,and the salt in a pot and cook over medium heat until just under a boil,stirring occasionally.Slowly pour a small amount of milk into the egg yolks while beating them steadily with a wire whisk.Continue adding the milk(add about 1/2 of the milk in the pan) whisking the whole time to temper the eggs.
- 3Add the egg yolk mixture back to the pot,whisking to thoroughly combine.Cook over medium-low stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and lightly coats the spoon,about ten minute,It's very important that you do not let the custard boil or the eggs will curdle;if it threatens to come to a boil reduce heat,and do not stop stirring!
- 4Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.Strain the custard into a heat proof bowl and mix in the cajeta and the remaining 1/2 cup cream.Set the bowl inside a larger bowl filled with ice and stir occasionally until cooled.Refrigerate until completely cold.
- 5Freeze according to manufacturer's directions for you ice cream maker.It will probably take about 20 minutes to freeze(it will become difficult for the paddle in the machine to turn).stir in nuts by hand and place in freezer until completely frozen.
- 6Top with extra cajeta and nuts if desired,.
Browse Our Top Ice Cream Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ice Cream Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajeta Ice Cream -Helado De Cajeta
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 783.7
- Calories from Fat 446
- Total Fat 49.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 386.1 mg
- Sodium 382.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 14.6 g