Recipe by HeatherFeather
Ok, so without the eggs & the anchovies it might not be considered a "true" Caesar salad. But, this is still a really good Caesar-like salad and will please those picky eaters in your family who want Caesar salad, but won't go near it if you include the raw eggs and/or the anchovies. I can hear the purists groaning already, but you can also use the cheese in the "green can" in this if you don't have any fresh Parmesan lying around- it still tastes good either way, although it is best with Parmigiano-Reggiano. NOTE: There are anchovy free versions of Worcestershire Sauce commonly available.
Top Review by Geema
I happen to love anchovies, but I didn't miss them a bit in this great salad. The flavor of the dressing along with the freshly grated Parmesan tasted just like my favorite Caesar salad. I was lazy and just whisked the dressing ingredients together until they emulsified, which really didn't take long. The croutons add a nice crunch and really shouldn't be omitted. Good, good recipe Heather.
- 1-2 head romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried, torn into bite sized pieces (enough to fill a large salad bowl)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 59.14-118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated, more to taste
- 236.59 ml crouton, to taste (purchased or homemade)
- 177.44 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 44.37 ml red wine vinegar
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml mustard powder
- 2.46 ml minced garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Set lettuce into a large serving bowl.
- Place dressing ingredients into a blender (yes all at once), put the lid on your blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour some of the dressing over lettuce, as much or as little as you prefer, and toss well to coat leaves with dressing; I tend to use less and have extra to save for another salad later in the week.
- Set one clean hand over your salad bowl and squeeze the lemon half over it- letting the juice drip through your fingers, but catching the pits (discard pits).
- Grind some black pepper over the salad to taste.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir to coat.
- Taste for seasonings, adding a little more salt, pepper, or cheese if desired.
- When the seasonings are correct, add the croutons to the top, give a quick stir, and serve immediately.
- This does not keep well- if you need to make in advance, prepare the salad dressing alone and then toss everything together just before serving.