Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are a totally delicious appetizer. We love these and they are very popular with our guests. They can be a bit messy to eat so try to use a Caesar dressing that is quite thick so that it binds everything together well.
- 4 ounces unsmoked bacon, lardons
- 1 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 baby gem lettuce
- 2 ounces bought croutons (preferably small ones, sometimes I make my own)
- 4 tablespoons good caesar salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 16 -19 leaves chicory lettuce (red and green together look great)
- parmesan cheese, shavings (to garnish)
- Slowly fry the lardons in a small grying pan until they are crisp.
- REmove from the pan and leave to cool on kitchenpaper to absorb any excess fat.
- Finely shred the chicken and lettuce.
- Place in a bowl and add the croutons, dressing, parmesan and lardons.
- Season with some freshly ground pepper, then mix everything gently together.
- Spoon the Caesar salad onto the chicory leaves, leaving the base ends free to act as handles.
- Sprinkle with parmesan shavings and grind black pepper over the top.
- Arrange on a plate and they are ready to eat!
I would give this more than 5 stars if I could! This recipe was the star of my appetizer party. I made the stuffing ahead of time and just added the croutons last minute so they wouldn't get soggy. Also, couldn't find chickory (this is January in Wisconsin!) so I used hearts of romaine as the "scoops" - worked great! I was surprised that the guys liked this as well as the ladies - made ribs and wings for the men and they still went for this dish. This will be a keeper for me - thanks M.A.!!