Recipe by EdSurly
Quick and delicious cabbage and hamburger one dish meal. This is probably my favorite fast meal to cook. My mother used to make it as I was growing up and it's one of my fathers favorite meals and mine also. Now my wife counts it as one of her favorites and asks for it often. Our 3 year old also devours it...one of a very small number of meals that he really enjoys. It was the first meal I learned to cook while in college. It gave an easy "taste of home". It's a quick and easy healthy meal for the family. You don't really need any side dishes but I serve it with corn from time to time.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef dry in a large non stick pan.
- While the beef is cooking remove the stem from the cabbage and quarter it. You can leave it quartered if wanted, I do from time to time but I like it better when I slice the cabbage. I usually take the quarters and slice it into relatively thin 1/2" strips. It cooks quicker that way.
- After the beef has been browned add the cabbage, can of stewed tomatoes and the soy sauce. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the cabbage is done. Don't add any water as the cabbage will release plenty as it cooks. Enjoy!