Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
If you love butterscotch you will love these easy to make bars. They are the perfect mix of salty and sweet. Can also be made using peanut butter chips instead of butterscotch, but the men in my family are butterscotch crazy. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 (11 ounce) bag butterscotch chips
- 2⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9"x13" pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, water, 1/3 cup softened butter/margarine and egg until well blended.
- Pat mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Be careful not to over bake.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle marshmallows evenly over the base.
- Return to the oven for about 2 minutes, just to melt the marshmallows together.
- Remove from the oven and set on wire rack to cool.
- In a saucepan, combine the butterscotch chips, corn syrup and 1/4 cup butter/margarine.
- Stir on low-medium heat until melted and well blended.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, peanuts and crispy rice cereal until well coated.
- Spread in an even layer over the marshmallows.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting into squares.
- (It is very important to allow these to cool completely before cutting).