Recipe by smiles4u
I found this in a pile of papers. I don't remember where it came from, or if I've even tried this one. I am posting it here for safekeeping. Prep time does not include refrigeration time.
- 4 slices cracked whole wheat bread
- 2 cups peeled and sliced butternut squash
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 9-inch baking dish. Line the dish with bread slices.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. add the squash to the boiling water and boil for 3 to 5 minutes, until tender. Drain, plunge the squash into cold water to stop the cooking, drain again.
- Combine squash, cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Toss to mix. Layer on top of the bread.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, beat together the milk, eggs, onion, salt, dry mustard and cayenne to taste. Pour over the squash.
- Refrigerate for a least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake the strata for 40 - 50 minutes, until it is puffed, set and browned.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.