Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock, warmed (plus more as needed)
- 1 (17 ounce) jar butternut squash, puree
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the cream until steam starts to rise.
- Remove from the heat, add the hazelnuts and let cool.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the 2 cups stock and the squash puree and bring to a simmer, stirring, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook, stirring, for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Using a blender or stick blender, puree the soup, adding more stock if the soup is too thick.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Whisk the hazelnut cream until lightly foamy.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and garnish with the hazelnut cream.