Ginny Potter's Note:
I got this recipe from a co-worker. It is delicious. Vegetable broth can be substituted for the chicken broth. You can also add a little garnish of shredded cheese or croutons/bread crumbs if you wish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes to yield about 6 cups (about 1 medium squash)
- 1 small granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes to yield about 1 cup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1In a 5 qt or larger stockpot set over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden, 8-10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- 2Increase the heat to medium high. Add the squash to the pot with the bacon fat and cook until lightly browned, 4-6 minutes (resist the urge to stir too often or it won't brown).
- 3Stir in the apple, sage, salt and pepper and cook for about 4 minutes (you'll see more browning occur on the bottom of the pot than on the vegetables).
- 4Add the broth, scraping up any browned bits in the pot with a wooden spoon.
- 5Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the squash and apples are very soft, 6-8 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat & let cool somewhat.
- 7Add about half the bacon to the soup and puree, using a stand or immersion blender (you'll need to work in batches if using a stand blender).
- 8Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- 9Reheat the soup and garnish each serving with the remaining bacon.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Soup With Apple and Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.1
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 532.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves